Fresh off our interview and video with John Kruetter (who literally took the interwebs by storm this past week) I figured it’s the perfect time to make sure everyone knows about the Washington D.C./Metro Area Season Kickoff Slide Jam (talk about a long title) going down on March 24th. They just recently announced the location as Spring of Freedom Lane, NW in Washington, D.C. (the Czech Embassy is at the top of the hill). While I don’t know much about D.C. I have a feeling that with Billy “Daisy Cutter” Jackle as one of the organizers people won’t be disappointed. Oh yeah, and they’ll have a kicker to hit!
The event looks like it’ll be a lot of fun and a really laid back atmosphere with a lot of chances to win some great prizes. It’ll be a true jam in the sense that everyone will skate their face off and judges will ask for names as they see necessary. The sponsor list is absolutely MASSIVE (23 so far) and could end up being one of the best chances you have to win gear this season. Seriously — there’s that much gear it looks like they’ll be giving away.
UPDATE: Rumor has it that the Landyachtz crew will be in attendance to help assist with not only judging but shredding as well. You’ve undoubtedly seen their YouTube videos and know that when Landy comes to town it’s not something you wanna miss. Speaking of which, if you don’t catch them at this jam you’ll have a several other chances to catch them as they tour the East Coast this spring!
Everything is going to get going at around 10:30am with open skate lasting until 2:30PM. From 2:30PM-3:00PM there’ll be a finals round with a select number of skaters (although they haven’t said how many will move on) followed by awards/give-aways. So far 230 people have RSVP’ed as “Going” on Facebook, while not everyone will go there’s a lot of buzz surrounding the event and I have a feeling we’ll see a very large turnout. Lots of people are coming in from far away, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see 100 or more people on the hill.
There are some rules that the organizers have asked everyone to be super vigilant about, mostly relating to respecting the Czech Embassy so they’ll let more events be hosted there in the future.
1. you must dispose of all trash properly. The embassy has been kind enough to let us use the hill, but we CANNOT LEAVE TRASH I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS. WE CANNOT MESS THIS UP FOR THE OTHER EVENTS THAT ARE BEING HELD HERE!
2. spectators will need to be in the middle and bottom areas of the hill. not at the top. the embassador’s driveway is up there and we cannot block it, and NO SKATING ON THE STEEP AREA OF GRASS NEXT TO THE EMBASSY.
3. find parking elsewhere, not on the jam hill, this will ruin the skating
4. dont arrive before 10:00 A.M.
5. Helmets and gloves required to skate in this event
Check the Facebook Event for any specific questions and for updates.